Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D6 Slugthrowers

I was looking through my copy of D6 Star Wars 2nd Rev. & Exp. and something caught my eye. I don't think I've ever read the rules all the way through. I've played in a D6 game and had fun. ( It wasn't SW, just generic space opera). But I've never GM'd it. Maybe that's why I never read all the rules. I just skimmed the relevant parts. Anyway, I was checking out the entry on Slugthrowers. There's only one gun listed, a pistol, and it's kind of interesting.

Slugthrower
Model: Coruschal WeaponsWorks "Dagger" Combat Pistol
Type: Slugthrower pistol
Skill: Firearms: Slugthrower pistol
Ammo: 16
Cost: 300
Availability: 2, F
Range: 3-10/30/60
Damage: 3D
Game Notes: -1D damage when used on a target with body armor
Capsule: Coruschal WeaponsWorks was a prominent munitions manufacturer until the planet Coruschal fell into civil disarray. Currently, the planet is a decaying urban sprawl, filled with street fighting between warring factions. Coruschal WeaponsWorks' firearms are generally regarded as high quality among those who still use such weapons, though contact with the planet has been cut off by the fighting.

Did they just sneak an adventure seed into a weapon description? I think they did. A planet that's "...a decaying urban sprawl, filled with street fighting between warring factions." That sounds almost cyberpunk. The idea of using the D6 System to run a cyberpunk game sounds kind of cool. And the gun does 3D damage. That's right in line with the damage done by guns in Cyberpunk 2020. So it occurs to me that you could steal just about any slugthrower you wanted from CP202 to use in D6. And you could other weapons too, like a MonoKatana or Nunchaku.

Someone's already thought of this, although they did it in the opposite direction. Over at Mockery's CP page there's a list of D6SW weapons converted to Interlock stats. But I'm interested tossing some of those shootin' irons into D6. The damage is so similar I wouldn't change most of it. (D6 is not for sticklers for realism.) Just a few tweaks here and there. The biggest difference are the d10 weapons. The average roll of 1D10 is 5.5. The average roll of 1D6 is 3.5. So 1d10 is roughly equivalent to 1D6+2. Just add up the dice and convert to a die code. For example, a Barrett-Arasaka 20mm rifle does 4d10, which would convert to 6D+2. Easy.  As for melee weapons, just treat the damage they do as a "+" to STR in standard D6 fashion (with the same max. of 6D; and maybe reduce all those nD+3s into nD+2s). So Nunchaku would do STR+3D. Sweet. Now you can have nunchuk skills. "You know, like nunchuk skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills..."

As for the note, "-1D damage when used on a target with body armor" I'd rule that only applies against armor of a higher tech level, like that worn in an interstellar society. For a "cyberpunk" planet (or orbital station, etc.) of a slightly lower tech level I wouldn't apply that to the local armor.

I know all this makes me sound like some kind of gunbunny. That's not what I'm aiming for (pardon the pun). Giving all slugthrower pistols 3D of damage is fine by me. My only point with this post is that if you want a wider variety of slugthrowers and martial arts weapons for some kind of cyberpunk-ish adventure the ones from CP2020 work great in D6. So the next time your party crash lands on a cowboy planet, just throw this little number that I got from Mockery's site at them.

Slugthrower
Model: Colt "Peacemaker" Revolver
Type: .45 Long Colt revolver
Skill: Firearms: Slugthrower pistol
Ammo: 6
Cost: 300
Availability: 2, F
Range: 3-5/18/35
Damage: 2D6+2
Game Notes: -1D damage when used on a target with body armor

Now where's did I leave that MonoKatana?

2 comments:

Alex Osias said...

Haha! Classic stuff that crossed over!

Good eye!

Jerry Cornelius said...

The best thing is it means you could use all those far out cyber weapons. The idea of a space pirate flying around wearing a SPM Battleglove is too cool.