Sunday, July 4, 2010

Traveller System Generator

I haven't abandoned this blog, honest. It's just that, unfortunately, I haven't been gaming much lately. Even so here's a nice little System Generator utility for Mongoose Traveller that I found on the 'net. It spits out something like this...

UWP:
C9E9332-B   S    Fl Lo NI
Gas Giant:
Yes
Star Port:
C  (Berthing Cost: Cr. 600)
Size:
9
Atmosphere:
E - Thin, Low  (Temperate)
Hydrographics:
9 - 92%
Population:
3 - 2.7 thousand
Government:
3 - Self-Perpetuating Oligarchy
Law Level:
2 - Portable energy weapons prohibited
Tech Level:
B
Naval Base:
Scout Base:
Yes
Research Base:
No
TAS:
No
Imperial Consulate:
No
Pirate Base:
No
Classification:
Fl Lo NI

Unlike most gamers I was never that into Traveller. One reason was that characters were invariably middle aged human veterans. Another was the relatively low-tech setting, with machine-guns, bulky computers and Jump Drives that need huge fuel tanks and take a week get anywhere. Top it off with a confining Official Universe © and I was off to other games. Which in retrospect I can see was my loss. All of those gripes I just listed could easily have been handled with a few simple house rules. And now with the Mongoose edition of Traveller I'd hardly need to bother. I really like this edition of the game and I think it's finally made a convert out of me. Now if it only had mecha...

No comments: